Sunday, July 1, 2018

I loved a boy


I loved a boy; a boy who seemed to represent all I thought I wanted
He was handsome, bearded and nerdy.
He played the guitar; he was a church mouse.
To top it all off, we came from the same region; that was good news.

I loved a boy; we chatted on facebook, on skype and whatsapp.
Those were his preferred mediums; nerdy as he was.
I tried to get him to call or even meet face to face.
Those are my preferred mediums.

I loved a boy; I told my mum about him.
We discussed why he didn’t ask me out.
I told her I thought there was something wrong.
She thought I only liked talking on the phone and should cut him some slack.

I loved a boy; he didn’t agree with my faith.
He was all for Luther’s “solas”
And thought I was in error.
He didn’t want to find out about my faith.

I loved a boy; I was in a faith crisis.
And well, at the time didn’t have many answers.
It seemed my God had forsaken me.
I wondered where this love would go.

I loved a boy; after a year of talking and chatting,
Just when I was rejoicing that he was calling,
He asked me what I thought of us dating.
I was so excited I asked what took him so long.

I loved a boy; he broke my heart when he said he could see no future.
I watched my dreams go down the drain.
My dad said not to worry; God would make a way.
He reminded me of my new job.

I loved a boy; even about three years later, the pain still seemed new.
And I just didn’t seem to have closure.
But now, I knew my God hadn’t forsaken me.
He had been with me through it all.

I loved a boy; he seemed to represent all I thought I wanted.
I may never know what may have happened, but I gave it my all.
Too bad he didn’t see it or didn’t feel the same.
I thank my God whose love never fails; I wait for him to bring me a man who’ll love as He does.

Angela Azumah Alu, 01/07/2018

Image from: http://www.radiantchurchcharlotte.org/gods-love-never-fails/

No comments:

Post a Comment